1.22.2014

Ironman Defining Moments


This year, I chose CONNECT as MY ONE WORD for 2014. In less than a month, I've realized that it's already a strength of mine. I like to connect meaning to what I've experienced. I like to see the patterns that define my life. I like to connect what I know to how I live. 

Back in March of 2013, I wrote about DEFINING MOMENTS. Ace and I were able to catch Dave McGillivray's keynote speech at the Wrightsville Beach Marathon's participant meeting. Dave McGillivray is the race director for the Boston Marathon. His message that night outlined defining moments in his life. His defining moments were times in his life that could have set him back. His obstacles were not huge, life threatening challenges - but smaller confidence crushers. His setbacks were a setup for a comeback. My bet is that all of those little moments in his life prepared him for the defining moment that came four hours, nine minutes and forty-three seconds into the 2013 Boston Marathon.

In a way, Beach2Battleship was the opposite of that for me. It was a BIG MOMENT on a big day that will prepare me for the little moments of the rest of my days. I have claimed B2B race day to be the BEST. DAY. EVER.I believe that how you live each day is how you live your life.  I think I loved the day so much because it was a reflection of how I want to live my life everyday.  Here is how I want to live my life:

I WANT EACH DAY TO BE FULL: The quote below says it all. On race day I did it all. I laughed  (quite a lot for 140.6 miles). I laughed at myself and others. I laughed to myself and out loud.  I spent a lot of time in thought. I strategized, analyzed, problem-solved and philosophized. Six-Plus hours on a bike is a lot of time to think.  I was moved to tears. Joy leaked out of my eyes at the finish and later that evening. I had a day - a HECK OF A DAY. I want my life to be full.   



 
Listen to Valvano's ESPY Speech HERE