12.01.2013

Rest & Recovery is Over

It's December 1 and I'm ready. It's been nearly 40 days since the race and I'm getting my spark back. In one of my last posts, I mentioned recovering completely. I've learned that it takes the body a while to get back into the swing of things! I found a few articles and even watched a webinar on allowing time to get back on the road. 



I've been swimming with my tri club once or twice each week - but I miss long intervals and the salty cool waters of Banks Channel. I've been teaching spin classes, too, and though it's a good substitute, I REALLY miss biking. On Thanksgiving, we drove out to see family in Pender County (on roads that we trained and raced on) and the memories came flooding back. I wanted to be with Lucinda on the open road. 

I miss Banks Channel. A lot.

I even miss running! I miss the intensity and the targets and even the distance of a good run. I've been holding off - my right achilles tendon was inflammed following the race and I don't want to aggravate it.  I ran for the first time nearly two weeks ago. Three miles was plenty and my ankle flared up. On Friday, I tried again. One mile.  I did 15 minutes of dynamics and walked for a half mile before starting my jog. My only target was perfect form. The end result? Relief. No soreness followed.

I'm ready to get back to training - to following a schedule and being outside. I love the discipline and the mental push. I know that the rest I take now will spill over into my next season. One article I found said:
Managing your recovery post-Ironman is almost as critical as preparing for the event itself. Be sure to take the time and savor what you have accomplished...the pool and the roads will still be there when you are ready to make your comeback!

I'm ready for a comeback!
  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment