5.15.2014

Triathlon Pro

Who says you can't get paid for triathlons? Technically, pros are athletes who meet these criteria: 
Pro: Tim O'Donnell
  • Finish within 8% of the winning elite time on the same course as the elites
    (distance and format) in three USAT sanctioned events that offered a prize purse of
    $5,000 or greater. All three results must be from the same calendar year. 
  • Finish top-10 overall and within 8% of the winner’s time at the ITU Age Group
    Olympic Distance World Championships.   
  • Finish top-10 overall in the amateur field at Ironman 140.6 World
    Championships in Kona.
  • Finish top-5 overall and within 8% of the winner’s time at USAT Age Group
    Olympic Distance National Championships. 
  • Finish top-5 overall and within 8% of the winner’s time at USAT Collegiate
    Olympic Distance National Championships. 
  • Finish top-3 overall in the amateur field at an Elite Qualifying Race.



Elites/Pros (used interchangeably by USAT) are top notch athletes who earn sponsorships from a pro triathlete is paid by sponsors. They may receive bikes, apparel, entry into races, living expenses, lifetime supply of chocolate milk, etc.


Pro: Tim O'Donnell & Mirinda Carfrae
Pro: Crowie


There are ways to be an everyday pro. I'm so lucky to have a nutrition sponsor - Amino Vital. I'm one of their everyday athletes and they send me everything I need to fuel my workouts and recovery. 

Plus, I'm paid, too! Okay, I make mere pennies each year from my triathlon training. And I do it by scrounging up loose change at my swims, bikes or runs. You may remember that last year I beat Jenni Sunshine Dirty Spice on the last day of the year with a .52 cent find on the last run of the year. In 2014 I've made a dollar! And I'm looking forward to the next three months when hurried tourist drop change by the parking meters at the beach. 

Here are my latest finds. I like to write where I found them and who I was with. I found one this past Friday, half-buried in the sand at a pre-race workout at Carolina Beach.


P.S. This was just an excuse to put Craig Alexander and Tim O'Donnell on my blog.