5.02.2014

May Days

May marks the start of a new season for me. The next 60 days are going to be jam-packed full of new ventures and events. One of the markers of change is the end of tri club. Today was our last day of our 2013-2014 season. We celebrated with a pool party - a great workout then breakfast and coffee on deck. 

Track Practice in 2009
This is the fourth year I've been involved with the club. The first year [2009] I participated  as a member. It was a fantastic group of veterans and newbies of the sport who supported, encouraged and inspired me to get out of bed at 5:00am every weekday. I woke every Tuesday and Wednesday fearing for my life. The thought of Lance's swims and of Wednesday track workouts would wake me with butterflies. 

That second year was even better. I volunteered to send a weekly newsletter. In 2012, I became a certified coach and helped with the Monday cycling sessions. And this year, I added run coach to my calendar and resume. Tuesdays and Wednesdays became the best days. Lance's challenging workouts don't scare me as much (and yet halfway through every swim I think: I want to get out!). Track workouts were a challenge and also my favorite times to catch up on conversations and answer questions at threshold pace. 

The best part about this year: working alongside newbies (like I was in 2009) and give them hints and how-to's - on cycling, transitions and even nutrition. I get to watch them do their first races, do their first yoga class or teach new drill. 

Best of all, I get to call these men and women friends. We travel together, we motivate each other, we spur each other on, we take care of each other. We laugh as hard as we train. It was an honor to coach. It was a privilege to train alongside them. It is a joy to do life with them.