3.28.2015

Azalea Sprint Tri 2015 (part two)

COLD BUSTED

The coldest part of the race may have been then stairwell leading out of the pool. It was drafty and frigid and it was almost a relief to get outside in the sunshine. Almost. Due to a late start, the temps had warmed, but it was still in the mid-40s. On my run to transition, I grabbed my bike jacket and put it on. I had strategically placed it on the run to that I could grab it and go. In T1 I also donned my shoes and booties and gloves and hat. It was too much. I was warm - don't get me wrong, but next time I'll suck it up and just put on the jacket. 

too many clothes


THE BIKE

After all, the bike is less than nine miles! I can do anything for nine miles. Right? I don't remember much on the bike. I was listening to my breathing and trying to get my wattage up. My favorite part of the course is always the bridge over Bradley Creek. The marsh grass was golden and the sky was tropic blue. Other than that I did what I always do: encourage one, thank one, pass one. I thanked each volunteer, I encouraged someone in transition and I passed at least one cyclist. 


I do have to tell a story about my friend J, though. About halfway through the bike - between mile 4 and 5 on Eastwood Road - she saw someone about 50 yards ahead of her get off the bike and sprawl on the ground.  Concerned, she stopped. Worried that it was a heart attack or worse, she asked if he was all right. No answer. Again, she asked, are you all right? Long pause. Finally, he answered loudly, No! I'm not all right! Do I look all right? I'm freaking freezing. I can't feel my hands or change my freakin' gears! (except he didn't say freakin') He threw down his helmet. Legend has it that he cried and stomped his feet. J's remarkable response? Get on your freakin' bike and finish the damn race. And she pedaled away.(She may not have used the word: freakin')

She later relayed this story to another friend who's reply was just as genius: Awwww, he should have worn a warmer dress