5.21.2013

Tour de Cure 2013

This past weekend - I participated in the NC Tour de Cure! I biked 82 miles - from Apex, NC to Pinehurst for the American Diabetes Association. My goal: to make a positive impact in the lives of those affected by diabetes. Each year it seems I choose to swim, bike or run for a cause. In the past, I've chosen Team in Training. It is close to my heart because my mom had leukemia. I ran my first half marathon in 2006 with TNT and rode my very first century ride last year in Asheville as part of the team.

Banks Wilson
This year, I was inspired to ride by BANKS WILSON.  He is the son of dear friends and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes nearly three years ago. He is a busy five-year old who must account for every morsel he eats, who gets a minimum of four shots and pricks his finger at least seven times each day, and who is often left out of play dates and other activities because of his diagnosis. His parents, Elise and Joel, spend hours counting carbs, worrying about his blood sugar levels, battling their insurance company over doctor's visits and remain ever on-call in case of emergencies. 


Joel, Banks and Elise Wilson
In my lead-up to the ride, I asked Elise how they were doing. She recalled a moment a few months ago: Right before having one of his many daily insulin shots, Banks looked at me with tired eyes and said, "Mommy, when will they find a cure?"  As my eyes welled with tears, my answer to him was, "Soon, sweetie, I hope it will be soon."








Chances are, you also know someone who has been affected by diabetes -- there are 26 million in the US who suffer from it! On the day before my ride, I posted this request on my Facebook page:



I was amazed by the number of people who responded with the names of friends and family. On the morning of the ride, I wrote the names of those on that list down my left arm. True to my word - when I struggled around mile 63 (and 70 and 75), I read the names of these boys, girls, men and women, sisters, friends, fathers, mothers, husbands and wives. Out loud. I spelled their names backwards and forwards. I prayed for their families (not out loud).   

I also thought of those parents who have to go the extra mile to count carbs, to be on-call, to endure the worry and the stigma and the.....extra. When I pulled into the finish line, I looked down at my bike computer. It read: 79.8 miles. What?!  I had promised to ride 82 miles for Banks, Maddie, Turner, David, Lorie, Beulah, Patricia, Molly, Mary, Michael, Mark, Amelia, Richard and Andrew. I would not let them down. I circled the parking lot and headed back out. 

I also met some amazing RED RIDERS - men and women who ride with diabetes. On Saturday night at the event party, we heard from Diana -- a red rider and member of the famous Cheetah team of cyclists in Raleigh.  She told her story of doing what she loves despite crashes (of the cycling and the blood sugar kind). She takes it all in stride and has learned to live and love and ride without this disease taking control of her life. Until they find a cure, the funds we raise can help families take control of their lives so it won't take over theirs.  
With your help, we reached the goal! I even raised the bar to $820 in the last week and you help meet and beat it!  You raised almost $1000. Our team raised over $9500 and we set a record for first-year team fundraising. 

With your help, I will do it again next year. I'm aiming to raise twice as much money and do twice the distance in two days! I'll ride to Pinehurst, spend the night and ride back to the Triangle the next day!

 
Banks and his sister, Lowman
With your help, we will fight for a future where a parent does not have to hear that their child has diabetes. A future where an adult does not have to face the uncertain times ahead after receiving a diabetes diagnosis. A future where you and I will know that we had a part in making this possible.

I believe Banks will see a cure in his lifetime. His mom, dad and little sister think so, too. With your donation the gap to a cure begins to close. Won’t you help me start a chain reaction?  You can still make a difference. MAKE A DONATION HERE or pass this on to someone who can!